50 things in the music terrain to ponder on:
1. Just when everyone thought Adekunle Gold had just one style of music that was beginning to bore us. He switched. He is a whole new vibe right now.
2. Olamide is an entertainer. Not a rapper. Who rap help? M.I and Vector (Vector by the way wants to be an entertainer, if not for the heat from M.I).
3. Omah Lay is currently my favorite secular Nigerian musical artiste. If I was gay, I’d trouble him to accepting a wedding ring. Tiwa Savage is on queue to feature him.
4. Mayorkun was said to be better than Wizkid, Burna Boy and Davido by Davido. Yes, Davido gave that answer. And we know why. Like it or not signing Mayorkun is one gold Davido dug in his career. If Teni didn’t go bragging about the songs she wrote for Davido, she’d probably be the bearer of the title Davido just blessed Mayorkun with. Davido would have said the best out of the the trio of Davido, Burna and Wizzy was Teni.
5. By the time Rema stops singing. We’d have a collection of songs that all sounds like choruses to other people’s verses. Rema is the rising god of sweet ryhming joints. He will mature into being the best. We don’t rate him yet because we know his age. He is actually in the No Bad Song league.
6. Tiwa is scared of Yemi Alade. No, not ‘fear’. The respect brand of scared. She sees Yemi Alade’s plans. Yemi has one plan. To be Africa’s number one. And she is strategic about it. She has the numbers too. Most streamed video belongs to Yemi. And that’s because we are not talking about Sinach here.
7. Tiwa tirelessly wants to Nigeria’s number one. She has no strategy to be Africa’s number one. She figures that if you are number one female musician in Nigeria that should make you number one in Africa. Tiwa works harder than most top male musicians.
8. Patoranking is the most loved artiste among the musicians themselves. Yes, all factions love Patoranking. Why though? He is down to earth. And may be they like him because they see he is unique as well. Not gunning for anyone’s throne. Patoranking is original like that. A talented body of work. Truly on his own lane.
9. Has Kizz Daniel slowed down? Or it’s just me.
10. That Dare Art Alade song after 5 years hiatus is a very cool song. You just understand that he isn’t off music because he is dry. Same thing that is keeping Eldee from music is what kept the Jah Guide Me crooner.
11. Teni has an album. Dont know what’s stopping the promotion or proper release yet. But we have had an album listening event for the project. By the way, many would think Teni is independent. Only few knows she is under a label. Dr Dolor Entertainment, the record label owned by businessman, Osadolo Nosa Asemota.
12. Who has that girl’s number. The one that featured in Rema’s Lady song. I am asking for a friend. He likes the way she dance.
13. So Davido and WizKid will not feature themselves anytime soon. But Burna Boy and Wizkid have a jam together. Wizzy and Burna’s relationship has gone stronger since the beef between Wizzy/Burna vs Davido started. But when did this beef even resumed? Was it not recently that Davido introduced Wizkid in one concert of his. And they shamed haters who thought their fight would last. Just after Wizzy said Davido has a frog voice?
14. Naira Marley wears expensive clothes but they always look like cheap clothes on him. Why? Naira Marley is not as banging as he was some months ago. This music industry too tough. What will he do again? He has shown naked women. And lyricalize porn to ears. What else will keep his stocks up?
15. Those guys around Davido make great music. Mayorkun is machine.
16. DJ Cuppy is a musician. Just a gentle reminder. She is stubborn about it. And she is eventually getting things right though. She’s finding her brand and sound. I love Jollof On The Jet. I love the one he did with Stonebwoy too. Rema made Jollof On The Jet special. Rema is a formular for hit.
17. Is Don Jazzy doing anything musical again? Aside being the boss of Mavin and Rema. So Mavin can only boast of Rema now? Or who else is still there? Please don’t mention Korede Bello. Di’ja? Then there’s also Crayon. Well it’s been kind quiet in Mavin. But Rema is repping them well.
18. Simi has a record label. She’s the only one in that label yet. Studio Brat. She should sign one person na. Even if it’s her husband. We can’t say Adekunle Gold has a label, can we? He has a band called 79th Element.
19. If you love Adekunle Gold. You can enter his private room at www.agletter.com.
20. Simi of X3M label and Simi of Studio Brat is quite not the same. X3M is also not the same without Simi. I bet Steve Babaeko isn’t really happy about this. But, hey, contracts. 5 years was signed. And as the contract expired auntie didn’t renew. Good thing for Steve is the songs made under X3M are still the hotests. I don’t know the details of that contract, but if X3M still owns the album Simi made under the label. They can bask in that gold. Contracts. Music business is all about that contract.
21. Wizkid’s Made In Lagos is Gold. Take it or leave it.
22. People say Wizkid should be tired of singing about girls. I am quite confused about that demand. What else should he sing about? Men? Or about Government? The Eedris Abdukareem Album about Government I dont know how good that is doing. Wizkid is a brand and girls, girls love and those kinda things are what the brand is about. Tuface is still singing about girls.
23. Okay Davido’s FEM is a hit and not about girls. Wizzy’ Smile is not about girls too. Am I right? Yeah, I am.
24. Mr Eazi will sing small and go love Temi small. Man needs to focus some more on his music. The competition is on him. But I like the one he featured Giggs.
25. RunTown’s unleash is one of those songs you need banging in your room, when the rain is heavy outside and your wife is in your bed.
26. So we all decided to forget W4? How come all the artistes Tuface signed flopped. Even the legendary Victor Uwaifo didn’t do too well with Hypertek. Even the name sounds somehow. But, hey, Tuface’s club, Rmours, is still banging and outliving the Hypertek Stars.
27. Davido does hit. I said it before. He may not be a great Live Musician or one blessed with super vocals. But you cant fault David Adeleke’s singing game. A proper studio artiste. A hit maker. Hits after hits. When he said he is better than all of them guys. If you check his outputs and match with the current vibe power. You’d give the dude. He’s killing it. Hate him. Love him. But agree with the hits.
28. But Wizzy is another thing entirely. I am writing this piece on a Wizzy and Chidokey’s Fibadi jam.
29. Okay I remember, Mavin also have Johnny Drille. ‘That guy dey sing sha’.
30. You appreciate Niniola’s talent when you listen to Johnny Drille and Niniola’s Start All Over song.
31. When will Teni feature Niniola? Teni seems more successful as per one with the most popular (biggest) songs. Right? Yet Niniola has some serious jams that I consider heavy and unique. For instance Maradona is a different vibe. There are some musicians we must love for their really solid vibes that may not be national anthem.
32. Tems another artiste for our soul. Not loud commercials. But quality vibes for the head.
33. We must classify these music artistes. Where do we place Reminisce? Dude makes name more from his swag and ability to manipulate relevance.
34. Where do we place Kennis Music artistes? JoEL Amadi is still with Kennis. Will anybody save that dude? Or we are all going to pretend it is well with him there?
35. Tuface is still going strong. PSquare? They are divided. But Rudeboy has blessed us with some good jams. Since leaving PSquare in 2017, Rudeboy has released ‘Fire Fire’ , ‘Nkenji Keke’ , “Reason With Me” and some other fine jam.
36. Davido tweeted, ‘Y’all niggas that went to Peter and Paul’s bday separately y’all pussy as fuck!! Them niggas is TWINS !! Not my business but Shit hurts I’m angry Walai’. But I understand his pain, but what does going to the BDay party have to do with anything. It’s like accusing Davido of shit for signing MayD. Or blaming him for offering to help Cynthia Morgan. They all connect o. When we table the PSquare breakup matter, some paragraphs will mention MayD and Cynthia Morgan.
37. Meanwhile, blessed was the era that MoHits, EME and Chocolate Music gave us hits after hits. That M.I squad though.
38. The Headies is not as big as it use to be. Hip Hop Awards seems a lesser deal nowadays. Or am I wrong? These musicians are becoming bigger than the award. Which is not so good. They need to do something.
39. Yahoo Yahoo’s Benzism and music funding actually makes the Next Rated car prize a joke. Ayo needs to make that Next Rated prize a Benz or something of equal level.
40. Davido said, some weeks ago, that endorsement is no longer worth the deal. He tweeted, “Fuck an Endorsment deal, ask for part of the company.” If you dont know better you will think he is giving some sound business tips. But it’s all about what google says of ‘who has the biggest endorsement deal in Africa?” The answer is Wizkid, and those who knew that line better answered Davido that $3million (N1b plus another N142m) is a lot of money.
41. Who has seen Target You by Tuface. Video has Nollywood’s Linda Osido. Syemca gave some solid collabo too. He reminds me of W4.
42. Timaya has a new song, with his usual easy to sing style. Gra gra sounds like a song Timaya has sang before. Yeah, it gives that kind of feel. Timaya has tried though.
43. Music survived without the Government. Nollywood to managed to. Football and sports will once it can be privatised. The politics is the reason. No Government’s politics in Music or Movies. Football needs to be saved.
44. Olamide has featured Omah Lay. But that Wizkid, Adekunle Gold and Omah Lay’s Pami is something else. How they all managed to sound alike. How they all managed to sing alike. Premium song.
45. Davido jumped on Ajebutter Hustler’s Barawo. Nice song, another song that’s not about girls.
46. Tems’ Damages does something to me. Her shape too. No, please don’t say this is sexual harrasment. I love her brand.
47. In Patoranking’s Yo Body video you will notice something. Davido did that same thing in the video where he told a presenter that Mayorkun is the greatest. Zlatan and Patoranking did same thing in Yo Body video. Uncode?
48. When Sound City Top 10 Nigerian music of this current week placed Davido’s Fem at number 2. I anticipated and told my friends that Wizkid was number one.Yes, Wizkid’s No Stress was number 1.
49. Who remembers the Joe Boy vs Fire Boy comparism? Fire Boy is winning right now though. DJ Cuppy says Tekno is his favorite Nigerian male artiste. But she warns Tekno to be more consistent.
50. Wow. 50? I have more gists. How the hell did we get to point 50 yet? I still have gist on DJ Neptune, Laycon, and others. Any way I think MJ by Badboy Tim and Mayorkun is a jam.
Written by Kingsley Ediale