Hannover 96 center-back Timo Hubers has tested positive for coronavirus, the club has confirmed. The 23-year-old’s teammates will be tested as well, as a precaution.
The club in a statement said that he contacted the virus in an event in Hildesheim on Saturday evening, and has not come in contact with his team-mates since picking up the illness.
“It is assumed that Hübers got infected at an event in Hildesheim on Saturday evening. Since the 23-year-old has had no contact with his teammates since the infection, which can be precisely localized, it cannot be assumed that teammates have become infected with him. Nevertheless, we will act responsibly – the entire professional squad, trainer team, and staff will be tested for the virus as a precaution.”
Timo Hubers will become the first player to contract the Coronavirus in Germany, cited on Daily Mail.
“Timo behaved absolutely exemplary. He himself shows no symptoms up to now. When he found out before that a person who had been with him at the event was tested positive, he reported directly to the doctor and temporarily went into quarantine at home,” Gerhard Zuber, sporting director of Hannover 96 said.
The youngster has been put in domestic quarantine while his teammates continue preparation for their next 2. Bundesliga encounter against Dynamo Dresden will be behind closed doors and media appointments have been canceled.