Super League Scandal: UEFA, FIFA Disapprove Proposal

The Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) has condemned the proposed breakaway European Super League said it was outside of international football structures.

In a move that has drawn widespread criticism,12 of Europe’s top clubs announced they were launching a breakaway European Super League.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Tottenham are among the 12 teams to sign up for the plan, also featuring Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, AC Milan, and Inter Milan.

- Advertisement -

FIFA can only express its disapproval to a “closed European breakaway league” outside of the international football structures and not respecting the aforementioned principles,” it said in a statement, quoted by Reuters.

“FIFA always stands for unity in world football and calls on all parties involved in heated discussions to engage in calm, constructive, and balanced dialogue for the good of the game and in the spirit of solidarity and fair play.

“We will, of course, do whatever is necessary to contribute to a harmonized way forward in the overall interests of football.”

- Advertisement -

However, UEFA has threatened to ban them from domestic and international competition and vowed to fight the move.

In a statement released on Sunday, April 19, UEFA declared that “enough is enough” amid reports of fresh proposals for a breakaway European Super League.

A statement from European football’s governing body declared citing from Mirror reads

- Advertisement -

“We will consider all measures available to us, at all levels, both judicial and sporting in order to prevent this happening. Football is based on open competitions and sporting merit; it cannot be any other way.

“As previously announced by FIFA and the six Federations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams.”

The statement also thanked the likes of Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain, who are, as it stands, standing alongside UEFA.

“We thank those clubs in other countries, especially the French and German clubs, who have refused to sign up to this.

“We call on all lovers of football, supporters and politicians, to join us in fighting against such a project if it were to be announced. This persistent self-interest of a few has been going on for too long. Enough is enough.”

French President Emmanuel Macron and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson both issued statements condemning a breakaway and supporting UEFA’s position.

“Plans for a European Super League would be very damaging for football and we support football authorities in taking action,” Johnson said via his official Twitter account, quoted by AFP.

“They would strike at the heart of the domestic game, and will concern fans across the country.

“The clubs involved must answer to their fans and the wider footballing community before taking any further steps.”

“The president of the republic welcomes the position of French clubs to refuse to participate to a European football Super League project that threatens the principle of solidarity and sporting merit,” the French presidency said in a statement sent to Reuters.

“The French state will support all the steps taken by the LFP, FFF, UEFA and FIFA to protect the integrity of federal competitions, whether national or European,” the Elysee added, citing the national, European and globally soccer governing bodies.

Meanwhile, on Monday, UEFA is due to announce changes to the Champions League format from 2024.

The changes will see the competition increase to 36 from 32 teams, with a maximum of 10 games from each club.

Latest news

- Advertisement -

You might also like