Former US President Donald Trump has permanently shut down the website he used to post his statement around his social media ban after just 29 days because it was mocked as a flop.
Trump’s website ‘From the Desk of Donald J. Trump’ has been removed and instead the URL redirects users to a page to sign up for their email and text alerts.
Trump’s senior aide Jason Miller told CNBC That the site ‘won’t come back.’
“It was helpful to our wider efforts and are working on it,” he said.
The site was set up amid the former president being banned from social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook following the January 6 Capitol riots. However, the site received criticism from those who claimed that it was a sad excuse for an alternative to these other platforms.
a Trump adviser told the Washington Post That Trump shut it down because he didn’t like the site being ridiculed and not garnering a large readership.
A GOP strategist, however, predicted on Twitter that its closure was just ‘a precursor to him joining another social media platform?’
‘Yes, indeed, it is so. stay tuned!’ Miller confirmed in a reply to the Post.
Trump promised after being booted from his accounts that he would set up his own social media site, which he says is separate from the ‘Desk’ blog.
Miller claimed he looks forward to “soon to find out more about the wider efforts” about the new social media site. “I don’t know the exact timing,” he said.
Trump unveiled his new blog last month, billed as a ‘communication platform’ for the former president to interact more directly with supporters and the public after losing his access to other platforms.