United States president, Donald Trump, threatened to cut US funding to the World Health Organization, accusing it of bias toward China during the coronavirus pandemic.
Trump, during a press conference, said his administration is going to look into the US funding to the WHO “We’re going to put a hold on money spent to the WHO,” said Trump, who pursues an “America First” agenda and has previously criticized other UN and multilateral agencies,” he said.
However, during the same press conference, he said, “I’m not saying I’m going to do it.”
“But we want to look into it, the World Health Organization, because they called it wrong. They (WHO) called it wrong. They missed the call. They could’ve called it months earlier. They would have known and they should have known and they probably did know. So, we’ll be looking into that very carefully, and we’re going to put a hold on money spent to the WHO,” Trump said.
Meanwhile, some US Senator has called for an investigation into WHO, handling the coronavirus outbreak, Senator Jim Risch, chairman of Senate Foreign Relations Committee, called for an independent investigation into the WHO handling of the Covid-19 response.
“The WHO has failed not only the American people, it has failed the world with its flagrant mishandling of the response to Covid-19,” said Risch.
“Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus’ apparent unwillingness to hold the Chinese Communist Party to even the minimum standard of global health and transparency hindered the world’s ability to blunt the spread of this pandemic. It is completely unacceptable that the world’s global health organization has become a political puppet of the Chinese government,” he alleged.
“An independent investigation into the WHO’s handling of the COVID-19 response is imperative,” he asserted.
The United States is the largest contributor to the WHO. “Our valuable tax payer dollars should go towards investments to prevent the spread of disease, not to aid and abet cover-ups that cost lives and isolate portions of the world’s population on political grounds, as has been the case with Taiwan,” Senator Risch said.
A bipartisan group of nearly two dozen lawmakers on Tuesday announced to introduce a resolution to defund the WHO until its Director General resigns and an international commission investigates the organisation’s role in covering up the Chinese Communist Party’s failed Covid-19 response.
“The WHO helped the Chinese Communist Party hide the threat of Covid-19 from the world and now more than 10,000 Americans are dead, a number that is expected to rise dramatically in the coming weeks,” Congressman Guy Reschenthaler alleged.
“The United States is the largest contributor to WHO. It is not right that Americans’ hard-earned tax dollars are being used to propagate China’s lies and hide information that could have saved lives. This bill will hold the WHO accountable for their negligence and deceit,” he asserted.
The United States’ intelligence community has reported that the Chinese government hid the threat of Covid-19 and, as a result, made it difficult for the rest of the world to respond early, appropriately and aggressively, said Congressman Fred Keller.
“For reasons beyond understanding, the World Health Organization acted as a silent partner in this effort instead of protecting the lives of millions across the world, including hundreds of thousands of American citizens. Our hard-earned tax dollars should not go to a global organization more concerned with not offending the Chinese government than providing accurate information and protecting innocent lives,” Keller said.