The world largest online video-sharing platform YouTube on Wednesday announced that it had suspended United States President Donald Trump’s channel over concern about “ongoing potential for violence”.
This comes as the latest move by one of the large tech companies to limit the president online following the suit of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The announcement was made by YouTube’s official Twitter account, where it wrote that it had suspended President Trump’s account after one of his recent videos violated its policy banning content that spreads misinformation claiming widespread election fraud.
The Google-owned video site further said that the outgoing President would not be able to upload new content to his channel, which had about 2.8 million subscribers, for at least seven days. It also said that it was disabling comments on his video indefinitely.
The statement reads:
2/ Given the ongoing concerns about violence, we will also be indefinitely disabling comments on President Trump’s channel, as we’ve done to other channels where there are safety concerns found in the comments section. https://t.co/1aBENHGU5z— YouTubeInsider (@YouTubeInsider) January 13, 2021
Earlier, last week, social media giant Twitter announced its ban on President Trump from its platform indefinitely, citing “risk of further incitement of violence”. The Twitter ban was announced two days after a pro-Trump mob stormed the US Capitol, hoping to stop the certification of Joe Biden’s election victory.